Tips to Prevent a Christmas Tree Fire:
With the purchase of a real Christmas tree, there is a certain amount of responsibility that comes with it, especially in regards to fire safety. According to the National Fire Protection Association, between 2003-2007 there were approximately 250 home fires per year that started with Christmas trees. Most people go through each holiday season safely, but here are a few tips to keep in mind to help prevent a Christmas tree fire.
- Tip #1 – Look for faulty plugs, frayed strings of lights and over-loaded electrical sockets. This is one of the top reasons for fires.
- Tip #2 – Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source such as candles, fireplaces, lights, etc.
- Tip #3 – Be sure to add water to the tree stand daily.
- Tip #4 – Replace your 7-watt bulbs with LED lights – they aren’t only cool to the touch but can decrease the chances of home fires. Also, connect no more than three strands of mini string sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in-bulbs.
- Tip #5 – Always remember to turn your Christmas tree lights off before bed.