OPEN THREAD: Celebrate Earth Day 2011

By Brooke Drake, April 19, 2011, Charity & Community, Green, News

Mark your calendars for this Friday, April 22 so you don’t miss out on Earth Day. You may have noticed that going “green” is on everyone’s minds these days – companies are building “greener” buildings, people all over seem to be adopting more eco-friendly practices.  But for some, finding where to begin being more earth-friendly can be overwhelming and challenging.  So, to help you start, here are some simple “green” tips to use not only on this Earth Day but for every day.

• Tip #1. Switch to a stainless steel water bottle. According to One Million Acts of Green, plastic water bottles result “in as much as 1.5 million tons of plastic waste in landfills each year” and over 80% are thrown in the garbage instead of recycled.  So before you reach for the plastic water bottle, switch to a stainless steel water bottle instead.
  • Tip #2. Pay bills online.  Save the paper and opt to pay bills online.  Paperless billing not only saves trees, but saves on late fees and stamps too.
  • Tip #3. Wash laundry in cold water. Washing loads in hot water, is not as necessary as people once thought, especially with newer model machines (check out the Energy Star models). Plus, just by switching to cold water, it will save up to 90% in energy consumption per load.

If you’d like to celebrate Earth Day, here are a few events going on around Texas:

Houston

Earth Day Festival, Discovery Green
Saturday, April 23, 2011
3rd Annual Earth Day Festival is Houston’s Party for Our Planet, a free, daylong festival and Green Expo.

Dallas/Ft. Worth

Earth Day Dallas 2011, Dallas Arts District
April 22nd & 23rd, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Earth Day Dallas festival features two days of exhibits, a speaker series, short films, music, entertainment, food and fun for everyone.

Lake Travis Area

First Annual Earth Day, Emmaus Catholic Parish parking lot
Saturday, April 30, 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
REsolve Group invites all Lake Travis area residents to our First Annual Earth Day Event! Bring your old computers, VCRs, speakers, etc. and leave the rest to us. It’s easy! Bring your electronics to the Emmaus Catholic Parish parking lot and pop your trunk – you won’t even have to get out of your car!

We want to hear from you! In honor of this “green” day, let us know what you’ll be doing on Earth Day.

Be Sociable, Share!

About

Brooke is a stay-at-home mom who blogs on the side for Bounce Energy. She mainly writes about ways to save energy and money with a focus on family and enjoying Texas.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments (12)

1. Julianne says:

For Earth Day, I plan on not using anymore styrofoam cups at work. I will bring in a reusable water bottle and mug for my drinks. Hopefully this will become a habit that I can continue on for the rest of the year.

2. Johnny says:

I will unplug all appliances I am not using when I leave home to save energy.

3. Kelson says:

I’m going to make an effort to refrain from using plastic water bottles all year.

I will also quit using hot water to wash my clothes. I didn’t even know that it wasn’t necessary anymore.

Thanks Bounce Energy!

4. Dandan says:

I’m going to refrain from driving on the weekends and instead carpool or bike to my destination.

5. Claire says:

Great article! Check out 3 fun and easy ways to celebrate Earth Day at http://www.stockngo.com/blog/3-earth-day-activities

6. Jackson says:

Biking to short distance destinations, switched my energy to a Bounce Energy green energy plan, flipped all my bulbs to CFLs, relying more on my ceiling fans at night.

7. admin says:

Here’s some of our responses from Facebook:

Dak Konrad
    bought an Elantra Blue with manual transmission :)
    only run errands when it’s on the way to and from work.
    wash only large loads of clothes and hang them out to dry.
    reduce, reuse, and recycle!!

Peter van der Harst

We get all our electricity from Bounce’s Blue Sky plan! And we use only electricity in and around the house, no natural gas or gasoline, except for our car.

Cris Gawlik
    Reusable coffee mugs and water bottles

Join Bounce Energy on Facebook.

8. Lindsey says:

For earth day i will use a travel mug instead of styrofoam cups while at work. Also if you bring your travel mug to starbucks on Friday (Earth Day) you will receive a free brewed coffee.

I will also start washing my clothes in cold water.

9. kasey says:

biking instead of driving

10. hammy says:

Switching to bounce’s green energy plan. BOUNCE ROCKS!

11. TX Electricity says:

I am making a vow to no longer buy plastic water bottles! I knew they were bad for the environment but didn’t realize how bad until the blog.

12. [...] What are you doing this weekend to be green? Find tips, Earth Day events, and tell us how you’re contributing to making our planet cleaner. [...]